If you or someone you care about has a substance abuse problem and wants to get sober, your first step is to find the right rehabilitation program. The science of addiction medicine advances every day, and the more we understand substance abuse, the stronger your treatment options become.
We ranked the top rehab centers in the world this year based on certain criteria. Although one or more centers on our Chart of Top Rehab Center Rankings might be perfect for you, others may not. Before you commit to any rehabilitation program, take the time to speak with a counselor at each center. Choosing a program that meets your specific needs will have a profound impact on achieving and sustaining sobriety.
The Top Rehab Center Rankings for 2014
Location and Contact Information
Average Treatment Length
Client To Staff Ratio
All of the rehabilitation programs on our Chart are residential treatment centers. Long-term residential treatment forces people recovering from addiction to focus exclusively on healing, instead of the normal distractions of everyday living. Since transitioning from residential care to living in the “real world” presents several challenges, we also selected programs with a strong focus on post-care planning.
Ongoing post-care treatment is essential, because individuals who accept that addiction is a disease requiring lifelong counseling or therapy are more likely to stay sober.
Our criteria include:
- Location — Getting away from everyday life is important to recovery, although many addicted individuals do not have access to financial resources for traveling far distances. The right location keeps you focused on sobriety while preventing distractions from work, relationships, problem “friends” and temptations, and other troubles. It also forces you to take your own health and well-being seriously.
- Treatment length — In general, longer stays in residential care are associated with improved treatment outcomes. Although the first few days of sobriety may present the biggest physical challenges, it’s the later weeks and months that recovering addicts often need the most support. Longer stays in residential treatment allow you to dive deeply into the reasons why you use drugs and alcohol. It also allows the treatment team time to diagnose any disorders that may contribute to your addiction, such as depression and anxiety. Best of all, the longer you can manage uncomfortable feelings under the expert care of qualified counselors, the better practiced you will be when you return home. In general, stays of 90 days are considered the most effective.
- Detox — Professionally managed detox can encourage addicted individuals to get help and make the early days of sobriety less overwhelming. If you quit alone, it can also prevent you from suffering a fatal overdose if you decide to go back to using during withdrawal. Most importantly, professionally supervised detox can prevent fatal withdrawal if you are addicted to alcohol or a sedative-hypnotic such as Xanax.
- Size of staff and client population — A small client-to-staff ratio is more likely to provide personalized care. Withdrawal and recovery are extremely personal, and you need your rehab professionals to stay focused on your care. The more clients a rehab center accepts, the less likely it is to maintain the staffing you need to receive personal, customized attention. Don’t get lost in the shuffle at a big center.
- Aftercare and extended care — Getting sober is scary, but returning to the world outside rehab can be even more unsettling. Aftercare eases the transition to independent living, while having the option to extend or revisit residential care can soothe concerns about sobriety readiness. A high-quality rehab center will develop a customized plan that meets your unique lifestyle needs.
- Insurance and cost — Residential rehab is expensive. Facilities that accept health insurance relieve financial concerns for many addicted individuals and their families. Although the cost of continuing to use drugs and alcohol is considerably higher than going to rehab, knowing that financial concerns have been addressed is a tremendous relief for many families. There are affordable, high-quality programs that accept insurance. Don’t let the price fool you into believing it is the only factor worth considering when choosing a recovery center.
Explore our Top Rehab Centers and find the program that’s right for your family.